tours to wroclaw
Wroclaw - the basics
WrocÅ‚aw ("?vr?tsw?f"; Polish pronunciation: "?vr?t?swaf" ( listen), German: Breslau, "b??s?la?"; Latin: Vratislavia) is the largest city in western Poland. It is on the River Oder in the Silesian Lowlands of Central Europe, roughly 350 kilometres (220 mi) from the Baltic Sea to the north and 40 kilometres (25 mi) from the Sudeten Mountains to the south. WrocÅ‚aw is the historical capital of Silesia and Lower Silesia. Today, it is the capital of the Lower Silesian Voivodeship. At various times in history, it has been part of the Kingdom of Poland, Bohemia, Hungary, the Austrian Empire, Prussia, and Germany. It became part of Poland in 1945, as a result of the border changes after the Second World War. The population of WrocÅ‚aw in 2014 was 634,487, making it the fourth-largest city in Poland.
WrocÅ‚aw classified as a global city by GaWC, with the ranking of high sufficiency and living standard. It was among 230 cities in the world in the ranking of the consulting company Mercer - "Best City to Live" in 2015 and the only Polish city in this ranking has been recognized as a city growing at the business center.
In 2016, the city will be the European Capital of Culture and the World Book Capital. Also, WrocÅ‚aw will host the Theatre Olympics, World Bridge Games and the European Film Awards in 2016, IFLA Annual Conference and World Games in 2017.
Lower Silesia - elemental info
Lower Silesia (Polish: Dolny ÅšlÄ…sk; Czech: DolnÃ Slezsko, Latin: Silesia Inferior; German: Niederschlesien; Silesian German: NiederschlÃ¤sing; Silesian: Dolny ÅšlÅ¯nsk) is the northwestern part of the historical and geographical region of Silesia; Upper Silesia is to the southeast.
Throughout its history Lower Silesia has been under the control of the medieval Kingdom of Poland, the Kingdom of Bohemia and the Austrian Habsburg Monarchy from 1526. In 1742 nearly all of the region was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia and became part of the German Empire in 1871, except for a small part which formed the southern part of the Lower Silesian Duchy of Nysa and had been incorporated into Austrian Silesia in 1742. After 1945 the main part of the former Prussian Province of Lower Silesia fell to the Republic of Poland, while a smaller part west of the Oder-Neisse line remained within East Germany.
Need to see in Wroclaw - Wikipedia
OstrÃ³w Tumski is the oldest part of the city of WrocÅ‚aw. It was formerly an island (ostrÃ³w in Old Polish) known as the Cathedral Island between the branches of the Oder River, featuring the WrocÅ‚aw Cathedral built originally in the mid 10th century.
The 13th century Main Market Square (Rynek) prominently displays the Old Town Hall. In the north-west corner of the market square there is the St. Elisabeth's Church (Bazylika Åšw. ElÅ¼biety) with its 91,46 m tower, which has an observation deck (75 m). North of the church are the Shambles with Monument of Remembrance of Animals for Slaughter (pl). Salt Square (now a flower market) is located at the south-western corner of the market square. Close to the square, between Szewska and Åaciarska streets, there is the St. Mary Magdalene Church (KoÅ›ciÃ³Å‚ Åšw. Marii Magdaleny) established in the 13th century.
The Centennial Hall (Hala Stulecia; German: Jahrhunderthalle) designed by Max Berg in 1911?1913 is a World Heritage Site inscribed by UNESCO in 2006.